What’s New For The 2023 Jeep Wrangler!
Industry NewsNew Product News July 20, 2022 Corey Osborne
Editor’s Note: Straight from the automaker, we take a look into what the next model year will look like. While I know a few of us were hoping to see the new twin turbo 6 cylinder in this offering, it looks like we will still have to wait a bit.
The iconic Jeep® Wrangler, the most capable and recognized vehicle in the world, delivers unmatched off-road capability and is produced with more than 80 years of 4×4 engineering experience.
From Jeep 4xe electrification to V-8 power straight from the factory, powertrain options include a 470 horsepower 6.4-liter V-8 HEMI® engine (Rubicon 392), 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine with engine stop-start (ESS) technology and 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 with ESS or mild-hybrid e-Torque technology. Also available on Wrangler four-door models is a 3.0-liter EcoDiesel engine with ESS. The plug-in hybrid Wrangler 4xe features a 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine integrated with two electric motors and a 400-volt battery pack, delivering 21 miles of all-electric range and 49 MPGe.
Wrangler continues to offer a body-on-frame design, front and rear five-link suspension system, solid axles, electronic lockers and is one of the few SUVs to offer a six-speed manual transmission in addition to its available eight-speed automatic. A multitude of technology features, such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and safety features, such as Blind-spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path detection, adaptive cruise control and Forward Collision Warning-Plus, further Wrangler’s appeal.
New for 2023:
- Wrangler Freedom edition, available for a limited time, features capability enhancements and military-themed exterior and interior design cues, such as an Oscar Mike badge on the rear swing gate, American flag decal, steel front bumper and rock rails
- Rubicon models get new standard and optional 17-inch wheel designs
- Wrangler decal featuring an American flag on each front fender
- Updated exterior colors:
- Earl (replaces Snazzberry)
- Reign (limited edition)
- Standard 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine delivers 285 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque, standard with ESS, and a six-speed manual transmission.
- Wrangler’s 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine is available with mild-hybrid eTorque technology and an eight-speed automatic transmission
- 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine with ESS delivers 270 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque. Standard on Sahara and available on Sport and Rubicon
- The plug-in hybrid Wrangler 4xe features a 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine integrated with two electric motors and a 400-volt battery pack, delivering 21 miles of all-electric range and 49 MPGe
- Wrangler four-door models offer an available 3.0-liter V-6 EcoDiesel engine with ESS, rated at 260 horsepower and 442 lb.-ft. of torque. To handle the increased torque, the EcoDiesel V-6 pairs to a TorqueFlite 8HP75 eight-speed automatic transmission, calibrated for low-RPM shifts
- Selec-Trac two-speed transfer case with full-time four-wheel drive and a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio is available on Sport models
- Rock-Trac 4×4 system with full-time four-wheel drive and a “4LO” ratio of 4:1 optional on Rubicon models
- Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 four-door model offers a 6.4-liter V-8 HEMI engine, rated at 470 horsepower and 470 lb.-ft. of torque. To handle the increased torque, the HEMI V-8 pairs to a TorqueFlite 8HP75 eight-speed automatic transmission
- The capable driveline of the Sport and Sahara models include the Command-Trac NV241 part-time, two-speed transfer case, which features a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio and next-generation Dana front and rear axles. In addition, an optional Trac-Lok limited-slip rear differential provides extra torque and grip in low-traction environments, such as sand, mud or snow
- Wrangler Sport and Sahara models offer a Selec-Trac two-speed transfer case with full-time four-wheel drive and a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio. This full-time two-speed transfer case is intuitive and allows the driver to set it and forget it, while constantly sending power to the front and rear wheels
- The Wrangler Rubicon model features Dana 44 front and rear heavy-duty axles, enhanced off-road rock rails and the Rock-Trac NV241 two-speed or optional full-time transfer case with a 4:1 low-range gear ratio. Wrangler Rubicon also includes electric front and rear locking differentials, a disconnecting front sway bar and 33-inch BF Goodrich KM all-terrain tires, taking Wrangler to places others simply can’t go
- Optional Xtreme Recon Package, available on Willys four-door, Rubicon four-door and Rubicon 392 models, includes LT315/70R17C (35-inch) BF Goodrich KO2 all-terrain tires, 17-by-8-inch beadlock capable wheels, 4.56:1 axle ratio, swing gate reinforcement and 1.5-inch factory suspension lift with uniquely tuned shocks
- Best-in-class approach angle of 47.4 degrees, departure angle of 40.4 degrees, ground clearance of 12.9 inches and water fording of 33.6 inches help the Jeep Wrangler with Xtreme Recon Package scale the toughest terrain
- Wrangler models feature lightweight, high-strength aluminum doors, hinges, hood, fenders and windshield frame, as well as a magnesium swing gate, to help reduce weight and boost fuel economy
- Available on Wrangler four-door models, Sky One-touch Power-Top allows occupants to open or close the Wrangler’s roof with a push of a button. The Sky One-touch Power-Top can be used at speeds up to 60 mph
- The flip-top Sunrider for Hardtop, available on all Wrangler models, offers a front-row soft-top that quickly and easily flips back for an enhanced open-air driving experience
- New for the 2023 model year, Jeep Wrangler features a new Wrangler decal featuring an American flag on each front fender. In addition to honoring the Jeep brand’s military heritage, this new decal also pays homage to the American workers who manufacture this iconic vehicle
- Dual-Door Group, with base or premium uppers, includes both full and half doors. Full-steel production doors are installed on the Wrangler while matching body-color half doors are conveniently packaged within the vehicle. Engineered, tested and backed by the factory, the new half-door option enhances the Jeep Wrangler driving experience with production styling, security and occupant protection. With lower window ledges, new half doors provide improved visibility while maneuvering on and off road
- Factory-backed, doors-off mirror kit for Wrangler is specifically engineered and tested to original-equipment standards, providing a production-equivalent field of view with minimal vibration. Each mirror in the kit attaches to a cowl-end cap bolt and the upper door hinge. In addition, an innovative, custom thumb wheel-nut-clamp is used as an attachment point to the door flange. Mounting brackets are finished with an anti-corrosion undercoat and durable black powder-coat finish. Mirrors include a built-in breakaway feature that prevents damage while in tight spaces on the road or trail
- Wrangler models offer the TrailCam forward-facing off-road camera with the 8.4-inch touchscreen, accessible through the available Off-road Pages
- Off-Road Plus, standard on Wrangler Rubicon, adjusts throttle, transmission shift points and traction control
- Jeep Wrangler’s signature features include iconic round headlamps, seven-slot keystone grille, trapezoid wheel flares, removable doors, exposed hinges with the Torx tool-bit size stamped into it, a fold-down windshield and innovative removable tops that allow the Wrangler to retain the brand’s iconic appearance and function
- Fourth-generation Uconnect system includes Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and the choice of a 7.0- or 8.4-inch touchscreen with pinch-and-zoom capability
- Standard electronic stability control (ESC), electronic roll mitigation, trailer-sway control, Hill-start Assist and brake traction control are among more than 75 available safety and security features
For 2023, the Wrangler lineup consists of five models:
- Sport S
- Sahara (four-door only)
- Rubicon 392 (four-door only)
Jeep Wrangler 4xe details are included in 4xe specific documents. Please reference Jeep Wrangler 4xe newsroom on the media site.
Available Exterior Colors:
- Bright White
- Earl (NEW)
- Firecracker Red
- Granite Crystal
- High Velocity
- Hydro Blue
- Reign (NEW, limited edition)
- Sarge Green
- Silver Zynith
- Sting Gray
Available Interior Colors:
- Black/Dark Saddle
- Heritage Tan